Thứ Tư, 30 tháng 8, 2017

Youtube daily Aug 31 2017

looks like we got ourselves a little icebox watermelon hey everyone its rob

the backyard gardenerr and I've got some fantastic news for you... you'll recall in my

last Kiwi update when I was training and trimming the vines I had made a

statement that I'd like to go ahead and propagate a few of those vines and I was

gonna chop the vines into segments in sections put it in some water put it in

my house and give it some time to go ahead and see how it goes long story

short it's been about seven weeks and I've kept true to that propagation

method I was showing you and I want to share the results with you we're gonna

start first and foremost by showing you the video from a four from the last Kiwi

update just to kind of refill your eyes you with what I did and then we'll go

ahead and jump forward to today and I'll show you where the Kiwi vines are at

well as much as it pains me to cut off of anything we're gonna do it I think

what I'll do though is I'll try to propagate this guy I'll cut it in a

couple sections and see if I can get it propagated. so there you have it guys I'm

really not sure if this will do much but I'm willing to give it a go

I'm gonna take these indoors in my indoor grow room so they're not in any direct

sunlight. we'll give it a month or so until they die or they produce roots and

if they do produce roots then we know the propagation method works. I'll keep

you updated on the next kiwi update on these to see if they get roots may not may

just be a waste of my time but I just didn't want to discard them for nothing

if there's a chance they could reduce additional Kiwi vines alright so now

that you had a look back I want to show you where the Kiwi vines are at today I

noticed there's been a lot of progress in the last week after four to five or

six weeks of really not a lot of progress still super exciting let's go

take a look right now so July 4th was when those

cuttings were taken in place into this jar I know it looks green guys it has

had some algae but I I've been changing it out every single week

but I've been feeding it just a little bit of nutrients. it's been in here

almost two full months now but let me show you what's going on if you look in

here at the at the base you'll see that it's really putting out a lot of root

nodes and so so it's sort of doing this about a month after I cut it off the

plant and I decided then that I would inspect every single one of the stems I

know it's hard to tell but you can see just at the base of this one there's

just starting to get some roots so on these thinner ones it's taken a lot

longer for anything to happen we get another example in here but on these a

little bit thicker branches you can see that it really wants to start rooting

and give you the best example in here I went ahead and pulled this one out the

other day and sure enough we got roots so what happens is it's taken about a

month for it to get these little bumps and then it took another month to get

some of these roots that you see here now not all of them have the roots some

are still just getting the bumps in there and but what I'm pointing out here

is that it looks like it's working guys I mean at the end of the day if it gets

roots it's gonna be able to support the structure and once it got the bumps and

it got the roots it put on some new foliage as you can see here again

they're sitting in water it was full algae or it's constantly got algae and I

constantly have to change the water so I don't know how much nutrients they're

really getting being in this this pitcher here

but this one back here had the best roots that it had and it had put on

enough foliage that I decided to go ahead and repot it or replant it to

transplant if you will so I cut off all the dying leaves that like these it

didn't look that healthy or the spotted leaves like these that are kind of

crunching up and I kept solely the leaves that looked the healthiest

obviously the new growth and the reason for this is I only removed it because I

think there's enough surface area on these leads to support getting enough

nutrients to feed the growth of the root system and I've buried this guy all the

way at the bottom I've used a very good moisture retaining mixture of peat moss

perlite and compost so it's should be pretty good to go he's been repotted for

a couple of days there shows no sign of any problems so far he actually looks

great I've got another one I'm gonna pot up the one that I showed you but let me

go and get this guy potted up and we'll show you what they both look like okay

so now we've got both of these in their new pot I was gonna cut this leaf off

because it's not that healthy but I just I'm not confident that these leaves are

good enough green enough healthy enough including the new buds to support what

it needs to do here now this leaf was shielding these and I kind of twisted

them around so that those now can be exposed to more light so maybe these

will green up plus he was in the water not in the soil so maybe he'll green up

now and these leaves once these leaves get a little bigger this one opens up

and we get another shot or shoot out from here then I'll chop that one off

like I've done this one I wanted to show you look at the coloring of these leaves

they're green but they're velvety and they turn red and white at different

angles this is the same as the ones outside I absolutely love these Kiwi

vines no great for just being ornamental if you wanted to they're aggressive

but anyway I do love the way they look and outside at different angles the

light catcher catches them so differently in their white red it's so

great anyway bottom line is it's almost been two months till they

developed roots I've got to to have roots I've got a whole bunch more here

that have again you can see the bumpy root nodes that are populating all over

the stem here they're not looking good as far as the tips on most of these ones

I'm not sure they're gonna make it but I will show you looks like this one might

because we've got a little node popping up here leaf no popping up so again I

only did a couple of vines that I chopped into sections what I'm thinking

is if this method ends up working I can go out there and I trim the next set of

vines I'm gonna bill to propagate a whole

bunch of more Kiwi vines and have a ton of Kiwi vines to grow or give away so

anyway bottom line is they're looking pretty good I'm pretty happy overall I

just wanted to show you guys that even a rudimentary way of sticking some

cuttings into a pitcher of water and changing the water out weekly in a

matter of seven weeks produced potentially two or more vines that might

take root and grow into be big Kiwi trees one day what there you have it

everyone the early results are pretty amazing in my opinion I didn't think you

could propagate Kiwis from just cuttings and it looks like they can again they

need to take root in the soil and produce more foliage and more branches

before we go ahead and give it the old thumbs up in the A+ effort here but I'm

pretty optimistic it looks pretty good I will plan on probably updating you on

another video and 2 or 3 weeks from now and we'll see how they're doing

if you enjoyed the video please give it a thumbs up and as always thanks for

watching

For more infomation >> Propagating Kiwi Fruit Vines - It Works? - Duration: 8:23.

-------------------------------------------

Harvey's Growing Death Toll | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:43.

For more infomation >> Harvey's Growing Death Toll | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:43.

-------------------------------------------

Se multiplica la cifra de damnificados por Harvey | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 0:32.

For more infomation >> Se multiplica la cifra de damnificados por Harvey | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 0:32.

-------------------------------------------

Houston Shelters Struggle To Meet Evacuees' Medical Needs | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:03.

For more infomation >> Houston Shelters Struggle To Meet Evacuees' Medical Needs | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:03.

-------------------------------------------

Rómulo Avélica regresará a casa | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 2:04.

For more infomation >> Rómulo Avélica regresará a casa | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 2:04.

-------------------------------------------

Donald Trump Outlines Tax Reform, But Gives No Specifics | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:18.

For more infomation >> Donald Trump Outlines Tax Reform, But Gives No Specifics | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:18.

-------------------------------------------

José Díaz-Balart recorre en lancha las zonas inundadas | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 0:50.

For more infomation >> José Díaz-Balart recorre en lancha las zonas inundadas | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 0:50.

-------------------------------------------

hypixel可以玩啲咩呀?? (有CC字幕) - Duration: 2:45.

For more infomation >> hypixel可以玩啲咩呀?? (有CC字幕) - Duration: 2:45.

-------------------------------------------

North Korea Threatens More Missile Launches | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:05.

For more infomation >> North Korea Threatens More Missile Launches | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 2:05.

-------------------------------------------

Watch Family Airlifted From Harvey Floodwaters | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 3:58.

For more infomation >> Watch Family Airlifted From Harvey Floodwaters | NBC Nightly News - Duration: 3:58.

-------------------------------------------

Texas arrasada: imágenes de un antes y un después | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 1:45.

For more infomation >> Texas arrasada: imágenes de un antes y un después | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 1:45.

-------------------------------------------

Al menos 21 muertos tras el paso del huracán Harvey | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 1:00.

For more infomation >> Al menos 21 muertos tras el paso del huracán Harvey | Noticiero | Noticias Telemundo - Duration: 1:00.

-------------------------------------------

The Science of Coffee | Big Ag Episode 2 - Duration: 3:26.

Welcome to Big Agriculture, a series where I chronicle the most important agricultural

crops in the world.

You can check out the first video in the series, about maize, by clicking the card in the top

right, or clicking the link in the description.

Today, I'll be talking about a plant that is part of many folks' morning routines:

coffee.

There are two widely grown species of coffee, Coffea arabica and Coffea canephora.

Arabica coffee makes up about 80% of coffee production, and Robusta coffee, the common

name for Coffea canephora makes up the remaining 20%.

It takes a coffee plant three to four years to bear fruit, and the fruit it produces are

actually drupes, a botanical classification that also includes stone fruits like peaches

and apricots.

They're referred to as coffee cherries, and after fertilization of the flower, take

about 15 weeks to development.

Each cherry contains two coffee "beans."

Once they're red and ripe, the cherries are ready to be harvested.

This is done in one of two ways, by hand or with a harvesting machine.

Most coffee is harvested by hand, the fruits deposited into a basket, and then they must

be processed.

There are two types of processing, the dry method and the wet method.

The dry method is simple; the cherries are spread out and allowed to air dry.

This can take a few weeks, and the cherries are then hulled to produce the final beans.

In the wet method, the cherries are pulped, removing the outer layer and leaving only

the beans with a thin layer of parchment skin.

They're then sorted in water.

Good, ripe beans sink, while under-ripe beans float and can be removed.

The processed beans are then air dried.

After either processing method, the beans are hulled if needed, and stored until they

can be roasted.

And fun fact: dark roast coffee has less caffeine than light roast coffee.

Many people assume that the bolder taste of dark roast means it has more caffeine, but

the longer roasting process actually decreases the amount of caffeine.

The USDA estimates that 159 million bags of coffee will be produced in the 2017/2018 season.

So, the world produces a lot of coffee.

The countries with the greatest amount of coffee production include Brazil, Vietnam,

Indonesia, Colombia, though coffee is grown in dozens of countries.

It's thought that the modern day coffee industry began in Yemen, which began exporting

coffee in the 1500s.

The traditional anecdote goes that coffee was discovered by an Ethiopian shepherd named

Kaldi, who noticed that his goats gained a lot of energy after eating the beans of the

plant.

There is no hard evidence of this particular story, though, but coffee does grow natively

across Africa.

There are, however, a few possible references to coffee consumption earlier than the 1500s.

A medical textbook from the early 10th century speaks of "buncham," which is thought

to be coffee.

And a medical encyclopedia from the turn of the eleventh century includes what is thought

to be coffee among the 760 drugs listed.

Written by Avicenna, it mentions a light yellow bean that clears the skin and "gives an

excellent smell to the body."

And as is usually the case, where there are plants there are pollinators.

A coffee plant has white, fragrant flowers that grow in dense bunches.

A 2003 study looked at fruit production as related to how a flower was pollinated.

It found that cross-pollinated flowers produced more fruit, so it would likely improve yields

by encouraging the presence of more pollinators near coffee plants.

All right, that has been a small sampling of the many aspects of the coffee industry.

If you have any questions, or cool facts about coffee, please leave those in the comments!

Please also leave suggestions for future topics in my Big Agriculture series.

As always, thank you for watching, and a special thank you to my supporters on Patreon.

I'll see you next week!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét