Thứ Năm, 25 tháng 1, 2018

Youtube daily Jan 25 2018

♫ Jazz club background sounds ♪

♫ Classic upbeat jazz music plays ♪

Man, look here, let me tell you somethin. I was born back in 1919.

People were damned lucky to get some food. You didn't have no money to go to no damned school.

Music school or no other one. So, when I learned how to play music, I learned the best way I could, by listening

and The Good Lord just blessed me and gave me one of those badass ears that I could play anything I damn hear.

You know, you don't like to use the word dinosaur

But, I mean it literally, Joe is like that.

I mean you're just like, he is a person from another era that doesn't exist anymore.

He's just, he's so rare. I mean Joe came to Ogden in

1945 for a two-week gig and he hasn't left. And he's kind of become the musical godfather of 25th Street.

♪ Trap set plays ♪

He learned to play by ear. He never learned to read music. So on the bandstand, you know, sometimes

we'll say "What key's this in?" They can tell him and he'll hear them start out. "Oh, okay. Yeah, I got it"

♫ Saxophone plays ♪

He was there when they invented jazz. I mean he's 98 years old. He played with Count Basie, Duke Ellington,

Ray Charles, Lester Young, Nat King Cole, Coleman Hawkins.

I often talk about jazz being a conversation on stage. Joe gives you space to have that conversation.

So he might start out on his solo; bat dat da da du da

da bom, daba dubi dadum.

You gotta have something to say cuz he expects you to say it. There is something about the way that Joe plays jazz.

I don't know how to describe it. All know is I just play.

One thing I tell people, "I know the good Lord like jazz cause if he didn't, couldn't play it like I do."

For him, I think being in the moment is all that he needs to get from music.

♫ Closing riff ♫

Wooh!

All right, I gotta call the next one. Yeah, call it. We gonna listen to some Joe McQueen.

This is the song that Joe wrote. The next band can come in.

♪ Jazz song intro plays ♪

Know this one Joe?

♫ Song continues with full band ♫

I think that Joe kind of figured out fairly early this

relationship between, do you want to be able to blow that horn in a way

that entertains people, or do you want to blow this horn in a way that touches people?

Applause

Ok ladies and gentlemen,

on this date,

72 years ago, I landed in Ogden, Utah.

Supposed to stay two weeks. It's been a damn long two weeks hadn't it?

But I'm glad I stayed, I really am.

Because uh, things have turned out pretty good for me here, so. When I think about Joe's impact on Ogden and the larger community,

You got to understand the reason why Joe plays his horn the way that he plays it is that it's a community horn.

It's a community sound if that makes sense. He plays with

Elementary kids, he plays at weddings,

he plays at funerals. I mean, Joe doesn't play music because he wants to be famous,

he plays music because he loves jazz. You can hear everything coming out of that horn. You hear love,

you hear passion, you hear the truth.

It's nobody like Joe McQueen

Nobody

♫ Joe McQueen sings "Georgia on My Mind." ♫

♪ Closing Riff ♪

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét